Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Pursuing Passion Isn’t Always Enjoyable

Consider this example: I like to do public speaking. But in order to be good at public speaking, I have to read books about public speaking. Problem is, I don’t like to read, so how? The pursuit of my passion is prevented by this thing that I don’t like to do.

Let me begin by reminding all of us this simple rule of life:

You don’t always get what you want.


Ideally, it will be great if everything that we do follows everything that we desire and like. But in reality, that is not how life works. If you found whatever it is you are interested in and passionate about, but then you have to learn something that you are not interested in, then that is just a part of life’s challenges.

Think of it this way: If your goal is worth it, then you will power through the challenge to get to your goal. But if you give up easily, then maybe you don’t want that goal as much as you think you do (or, maybe it’s not your goal to begin with?).

There is something that you can do to make the process easier. Take the example in the beginning: I like public speaking but I don’t like to read books about public speaking (even though I know I need to if I want to learn).

So, what to do?

I try to convince myself to look at reading differently. Yes, I don’t like it; it is a tedious process that takes my time and drains my energy. Having said that, I can still enjoy it just by looking at it as an exercise for my mind.

I don’t like to exercise, but I know that I have to do it. I also know that I will feel better at the end. So, when I read something I know that I will enjoy it at the end. I know that at the end of it there will be a fruit for me.

I just focused on that, and it makes me able to go through the process easier. It is still a challenge, but keeping my end goal in mind makes it more likely that I will persevere through the difficulty. Because my goal is worth it.

Try coaching your mind in seeing things differently. Just because you don’t like something, doesn’t necessarily mean that it is bad for you. Allah said in the Qur’an, “...perhaps you hate a thing and it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing and it is bad for you...” (Surah al-Baqarah, Ayat 216)

You want to pursue something that you love, but in the process of that pursuit, you may have to learn something that you don’t particularly enjoy. But remember, if the goal is worth it, then you won’t be bothered by something just because it is difficult and unpleasant.

---
AIMAN AZLAN, #YouthMentor
Book a one-to-one online session with me:
www.aimanazlan.com/mentorship

No comments:

Post a Comment