Friday, January 05, 2018

Figuring Out Your Life and Meeting Parents' Expectations


I don't know what my parents want from me, and I don't know what to do with my life.

It is important to communicate with important people around you, especially your parents. Otherwise, you will enter the guessing world where you simply guess what they want and think. That might lead you to conclusions that will hurt yourself in the end.

So, you have to find ways to sort things out with your parents. Just bear in mind, that should happen all the time. Talk with your parents when you want to know what they want, or when you have problems.

Also, don't think that you are a burden to them. As a parent myself, I want to know if my child is doing okay or not because that is my job. I "signed up" to become a father. It is my choice. Therefore, I also choose all the things required within the job and one of the most important things in this job of parenting is my child's wellbeing.

As for what you want to do with your life, it is a process and a journey. Don't think that it is a race and that you have to keep up with other people. You don't have to, and there is no rule that says that you have to finish your studies at a certain time. I have seen old people still going to university, with a cane!

Learning and discovering is a lifelong endeavour. Take your time and explore your life in your own unique pace. It might take some trial and error, but in the end you will find what you want to do with your life. At the same time, don't look for a stress-free option.

What you want to do with your life doesn't have to be convenient and easy. In fact, often times it is difficult and challenging. But because you love doing it, you will do it anyway. In reality, there is no stress-free option. You can't escape stress, so might as well face it head on.

However, you can choose your stress. My advice to you is to choose the kind of stress that makes you feel satisfied and fulfilled. Yes, you will feel tired and sometimes frustrated, but in the end you will still feel satisfied and fulfilled. You will sleep better and you will wake up tomorrow feeling excited to do it all over again. It is stressful, but it is also joyful.

That is the kind of stress you should be seeking. It takes time, effort, and patience. But, in time, you will find it.

Have confidence in yourself and keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment